Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Casa Bonita

Lakewood, Colorado---I remember sitting in a cave and watching cliff divers performing for an audience of eating onlookers. I remember that there was a tiny Mexican Flag on a small pole at your table and if you raised it, a server would stop immediately and bring you additional food per your request. It was the very first “all you can eat” restaurant I had ever experienced. I was on a road trip with four other girlfriends from our college five hours away.

But that was 33 years ago and when I heard that Casa Bonita Restaurant, in a suburb of Denver, Colorado, was still in business I had to go see if what I remembered was real.  The friend I looked up was with my first cousin’s daughter, the same person who happened to be in the Dominican Republic when I sailed there and met me down town Santa Domingo for a well needed catch up. Now in Denver, she had not revisited this restaurant for over 20 years either. Her text informed me that it “looked as cheesy as ever” and was up for the silliness and agreed to meet me there.

Why is it your memory of things always appear bigger, larger, grander than reality?







 
It is still there. It is beyond cheesy.

The cliffs that I remembered to be the height of the sides of Santorini, Greece were actually about 30 feet. The gorgeous speedo clad male cliff divers were replaced with college aged females in leopard patterned one piece suits. The food, it was the same: terrible…except for the yummy sopaipillas with honey.  

Actually, Casa Bonita claims itself voted as one of America’s top 10 roadside attractions. Having been in business for 39 years, some locals laugh at the idea of going, but for the couple in front of us in line, they visit monthly and love it. For $14.95 you can choose an all you can eat Deluxe Dinner of a crispy taco and two enchiladas, rice, beans, chips, queso, salsa and sopailpillas; a turnover sized triangle flour puff pastry that you rip open and pour honey into the empty inside.  Okay, now I’m hungry and it really wasn’t that terrible.
And just like all those years ago I was in the company of someone who I loved being around. We took it all in, including the walk-thru kid’s ghost ship experience. We ate Mexican food, raised the flag and asked for more, laughed, took pictures and watched the divers from several angles.

Just like last time.

No comments:

Post a Comment